The thermometer is one of the essential medical equipment for every household. It is so because whenever someone in the family feels feverish, you cannot afford to run to the nearest clinic to take the temperature. It is also equally important that you should know how to use the thermometer. One should be aware that the average body temperature is accepted as 98.6°F (37°C).
What are the different types of thermometers?
Checking your body temperature using a thermometer is easy and is a vital tool in fighting illness. Today there are different types of thermometers available in the market. One can select any thermometer for household use. Some of these are:
- Mercury glass thermometer
- Digital thermometer
- Tympanic thermometer or Ear thermometer
- Temporal artery thermometer
- Plastic strip thermometer
- Pacifier thermometer
- Infrared thermometer
Which is the best thermometer for the household?
Depending upon the usage and the age of a person, we can select a thermometer for a house. Mercury thermometers are old and dangerous and are usually discarded nowadays. A digital thermometer is efficient, accurate, and safe. It is one of the most popular thermometers and is typically found in every household.
One benefit of the digital thermometer is that it can be used to take the reading using an oral method as well as from the armpit depending upon the age of the family member. It’s not a medical disposable equipment because you can reuse it multiple times. It is effortless to operate and use. Taking its benefits into consideration, digital thermometers can be adjudged as the best thermometer for household purposes.
How to use a thermometer at home?
The thermometer is essential medical equipment required at every home. However, it is crucial to follow a simple process before using a thermometer. The following instructions can help in the proper upkeep of the thermometer and to take temperature accurately.
- Before handling the thermometer, one must wash his hands with soap.
- Clean the thermometer by rubbing alcohol or spirit and then rinse it with cold water and dry it.
- The patient must avoid eating food or drinking any fluid before temperature reading. This may affect the efficiency and reading of the thermometer of the patient.
- Place the thermometer under the armpit (axillary) or under the tongue (oral).
- Keep it still for almost 60 seconds for an accurate reading.
- The digital thermometer makes a beeping noise that indicates that the final reading on the thermometer is available, and it can be taken out.
- After that, wash it with water and clean the thermometer using alcohol.
What are the things to keep in mind before purchasing a thermometer for a household?
Some of the most critical parameters before buying a thermometer are:
- Accuracy – it is necessary to buy a thermometer after checking its accuracy, which is an essential factor.
- Suitability – One should be aware of the age factor of the patient. For ex. Glass thermometers are dangerous to be used for kids.
Having a thermometer at home makes it convenient to take readings repeatedly. Taking temperature reading of a patient qt regular interval can help in drawing a chart of the body temperature. This medical equipment use makes it easy for a doctor to understand the sickness and give necessary medication.